Urbanisation in China; Happiness is seen everywhere
* Preview downloadable copy available on request, do get in touch.
A Journey of Wonder in Shanghai
In China urbanisation is at full pace. New neighborhoods and cities emerge faster than ever before. The inhabitants, often coming from small villages or demolished areas in the city centres, find a new social context in the new cities. The apartments are better than what they were used to, but do they feel at home there? Do the new cities meet their inhabitants’ expectations?
The ‘new rich’ can afford to buy a house in a new themed suburb. But the city centres of Thames Town or Holland Village look empty. These areas seem to be used mainly by frantic newlyweds searching the perfect surrounding for their wedding pictures.
Urbanisation In China: Happiness Is Seen Everywhere provides a background and context for the Chinese urbanisation and specifically lets the inhabitants speak. It is not a romantic picture of pretty old houses and alleys, but shows real situations and open often surprising views in modern China.
- A jury of film critics and architects have awarded the film as “Best Documentary” at “The International Istanbul Architecture And Urbanism Film Festival” 2011. (title translated as Ã‡inâ€™de KentleÅŸme: Mutluluk Her Yerde). The prize consists of a statue and a cash prize of â‚¬ 4000.
- Screened on film festivals in (a.o.) Shanghai, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Seoul and the Netherlands.
- Released on DVD, published by Architectura & Natura
- Camera, production, editing
- DVD and Full-HD MP4
- Supported by the Netherlands Architecture Fund
- In cooperation with Urban Language
- Extra on the DVD: 16 MM Mao Man
- November 2012: Urbanisation in China is translated into Korean in order to be screened on the Seoul International Architecture Film Festival, Nov.8th / 14th 2012.
- September 2012: Urbanisation in China will be screened on saturday 22 september 2012 in Frankfurt on the China in Motion Festival . I will do a Q&A after the screening.
- October 2011: “Urbanisation in China” has been selected by a jury of film critics, directors and architects as best documentary at the Istanbul International Architecture and Urban Film Festival.
- The screening of “Urbanisation in China” will be the final act of the Chinese Triptych exhibition @ Casla architecture institute, Almere. June 15, 8 pm. Free admission. See the website for details.Â
- The film has been screened at the MiNi Film Festival in Shanghai (April 23 & 24, Dutch Design Workspace). Interviews and articles in Time Out Shanghai, Global Times, Smart Shanghai and Creative Hunt.
Thanks to all people who came to this great mini festival, the cinema room was just overcrowded. Special thanks to the people asking smart questions at the Q&A!
- The DVD is “Book” of the month April at ArchiNed.
- Screening in CASLA architecture centre (almere) during exhibition Chinees Drieluik: De alledaagse, Netwerk en Groene Newtown. From april 8 – june 20.
- Radio interview CRTV about the film. Available as podcast.
- Presentation of the DVD in Architectura & Natura, Amsterdam (3-3-2011). The DVD is for sale now!
- A preview of the documentary was shown at the presentation of the book “Shanghai New Towns” (Harry den Hartog)(nov 30, 2010).
english / chinese – ISBN 978-94-614001-5-4
60 minutes + extra’s. RRP 12,50 euro
extra on the DVD: 16 MM Mao Man (short doc)
order from the publisher:
* Architectura & Natura
Or send an email for more information (contact details on the right)